It was Vancouver Foodster‘s 5th Tasting Plate Anniversary on March 8, and Richard went all out to impress us with the participating downtown venues. We started off with a sip of red and white Chilean wine at Marquis Wine Cellars. A celebratory drink for a celebratory occasion.
Our Tasting Plates crawl took us to visit:
- Marquis Wine Cellars
- Patron Tacos & Cantina
- Ten Ten Tapas
- Tartine Bread and Pies
- Meinhardt Fine Foods
- Saj & Co.
By the time I visited all the venues, I was thoroughly, pleasantly stuffed.
What did I get to Sample?
Marquis Wine Cellars
- Terrapura 2015 Single Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon ($20.78 + tax) – A full bodied round, ripe, soft dark-fruited wine.
- Terrapura 2014 Single Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc ($19.04 + tax) – Exhibiting lots of New World tropical and herbal character.
Both wines are reasonably priced at Marquis, and easy to enjoy.
Ten Ten Tapas
- Octopus Conserva,
- Mushrooms on Toast and
- Salmon Mi Cuit
Ten Ten Tapas is a bit hidden at the base of the Burrard bridge along Beach Avenue, but should not be missed. They created some very nice tapas for us to enjoy. In particular, I really liked the Salmon with the dill, as those tastes always go well together. The octopus was also quite nicely; not over-done which made it soft to chew.
Meinhardt Fine Foods
- Roasted Cauliflower & Chickpea Salad- tahini, lemon, parsley, red onion
- Mushroom Leek Soup- crispy leeks, cream, truffle oil
- Prosciutto & Brie “Sandwich”- fig crostini, arugula, aioli
- Zesty Lemon Bar- pate sucree base, fresh raspberries
- Superfood SweetHARDT- vegan, paleo, chocolate heart
This was my last stop, and I was already stuffed from Patron Tacos & Cantina. But nevertheless, devoured these tasty tasting plate dishes. The food was all very healthy. I really enjoyed the roasted cauliflower and chickpea salad. Roasted cauliflower has such nice flavour combined with the texture from the chickpea.
Patron Tacos & Cantina
- Sopecito – Handmade thick corn tortilla, topped with beans & shredded chicken. Garnished with green tomatillo sauce
lettuce, feta cheese, sour cream and Pico de Gallo.
- Flautita – Deep fried corn tortilla filled with our delicious “BARBACOA”. Topped with green tomatillo sauce, sour cream and feta cheese.
- Enchilada – Corn tortilla with shredded beef. Topped with red sauce. Garnished with sour cream and feta cheese
This was probably my favourite stop during the Tasting Plates event. I know good Mexican food, having travelled extensively in the Southwestern USA very often. The food at Patron would measure up to any food that I have eaten in Phoenix, Tucson, or El Paso. All freshly made sauces. Not made too spicy so the gringos here in Vancouver can enjoy, but they do provide you with a variety of hot sauces to add the heat if needed.
Saj & Co.
Flowers (Breadbowl hummus salad with different flavours and different breads!)
Eating here I felt very healthy. The salad bowl was edible. Again more chickpeas; this time made into hummus. Really fresh Middle-eastern food. This place is very tiny so if you are going to go during the day for your lunch break at work, I’d suggest going before the noon-time rush. The small, round chocolate cakes were also very good. Not sweet.
Tartine Bread & Pies .
Apple Pie Three Ways:
- Salted Caramel Apple
- Dutch Apple
- Blackberry Apple
If you like pies, then give Tartine a try. I am partial to apple pies, so my favourite was the salted caramel apple pie, but all the pies were done very well. I didn’t have time to enjoy them with a cup of coffee, but maybe on my next trip there on my own I will.