Yesterday was a day of tasting primarily Spanish wines at the Vancouver Playhouse International Wine Festival. Quite a range from sherries to white, red, and Cavas to choose from. I haven’t been able to get through them all, but here are the names of a few bottles you may want to try if you go to the International Tasting room tonight or tomorrow night. Full reviews for these wines and others will come after the festival on my main www.MyWinePal.com website.
My Spanish Wine Picks for Day 1:
- Alvaro Palacios Remonda la Vendimia 2009
- Alvaro Palacios Remonda la Montessa 2007
- Bodegas Chivite Gran Feudo Edicion Vinas Viejas Reserva 2005
- Grupo Faustino Fortius Reserva 2004
- Freixenet Elyssia Pinot Noir (sparkling)
- Gonzalez Byass Finca Constancia Cosecha 2008
- Marques de Riscal Gran Reserva 2003 (my favorite of the night)
- Bodegas Olivares Rose 2010 ($12 bottle of rose is a great deal!)
- Cavas Pares Balta Blanc de Pacs 2010 (a still white made from traditional Cava grapes. Great flavour. It is organic too.)
Most of the red wines above are 100% tempranillo, or a blend with tempranillo. Note that there are many other wines I could add to this list, but today I’m keeping things short.
Today is tasting room time again. I’ll be trying the rest of the world mainly, and finish off a bit of Spain. Saturday is jam packed for me, attending the New Zealand Perfect Pairings, the grenache seminar, and the Cinq a Sept French event. I hope you get a chance to try one of the above wines, and to meet you at one of the events. Please say Hi. Enjoy!