Mother’s Day is coming up soon. We all like to treat our mothers. A nice meal and nice wine is one option. Some wines you may want to consider.
- Fresita sparkling (Chile). This is a blend of white sparkling wine with blended strawberries. Very nice and fruity. Would be a nice way to start a breakfast if you don’t want to make a mimosa.
- Champagne Lallier Rose (France). Very pale pinkish orange colour. Light strawberry nose. Bigger bubble, with strawberry and red cherry flavour. You can never go wrong with Champagne. If you cannot afford Champagne, maybe try an Italian Prosecco or a Spanish Cava.
- Moreson Blanc de Blancs Brut Method Cap Classic (South Africa) Chardonnay NV. A very fine bubble. Red apple, citrus, light spice and bready flavour. It had a long finish. Nice.
- Codorniu Sparkling Brut (Spain) Pinot Noir NV. This Spanish Cava is light orangy pink in colour. Light strawberry aroma. Very bracing in your mouth, with strawberry and raspberry flavours.
If you mother likes white wines here are a few suggestions.
- Mission Hill Family Estate Perpetua 2008 (Canada). This is 100% Chardonnay from a blend of 3 Chardonnay clones: 2 Dijon and 1 Loire. A portion of the wine is fermented in French oak and left sur lies for 10 months. Pale lemon with a green tint in the glass. Flower and lemon on the nose. Medium body with vanilla, pineapple flavours. Medium acidity. A very well balanced wine. This is a chardonnay that everyone should try.
- Mud House Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2010 (New Zealand). Pale lemon in the glass. Lots of gooseberry on the nose with some herbal on the nose that continued to the palate. Medium plus acidity with long length. Really nice flavour.
- Township 7 Viognier 2008 was medium lemon in colour. Honey, lime and tropical fruit on the nose. Medium acidity with citrus, mango and papaya flavours. If you have not tried a Viognier before, this one will get you hooked.
- Casa Lapostolle Sauvignon Blanc 2009 (Chile). It had varied aromas of citrus, pineapple and apple. On the palate there was good acidity with pineapple flavour and medium length.
- La Frenz Winery Reserve Chardonnay 2009 (Canada). Pale lemon in the glass. Lots of vanilla with a hint of eucalyptus / menthol. Nice acidity. Round mouthfeel with pineapple and spice.
Maybe your mother prefers red wine or you are planning to BBQ something for her. Here are some suggestions.
- Vina Santa Rita Medalla Real Pinot Noir 2008 (Chile). Santa Rita is a premium producer from Chile. I really enjoy their wines, and spent time visiting them in Chile. Their Medalla Real Pinot Noir is coloured light purple in the glass. Ripe cassis aromas. Round mouth feel, light boded with an abundance of cassis flavour. Low tannins.
- Mud House Central Otago Pinot Noir 2009 (New Zealand). Pale purple colour. Lots of raspberry aroma and flavour. Also a bit of tea leaves on the palate. Light body with medium acidity.
- Van Westen Vineyards Voluptuous Merlot / Cabernet Franc 2007 (Canada). Opaque puple in the glass. Ripe cherries and vanilla with a hint of cedar on the nose. Full bodied with firm yet smooth tannins. Ripe black cherry flavour.
- Howling Bluff Estate Winery Summa Quies Estate Pinot Noir 2009 (Canada). Pale garnet in colour. Beautiful violets and strawberry aromas. Soft, light bodied, with vanilla, strawberries and ripe cherries on the palate. Highly recommended.
- d’Arenberg The Custodian Grenache 2008, (Australia) This wine is light garnet in colour. Smoke and raspberry on the nose. Petrol, cassis, raspberry flavours. Low tannins. Very refreshing.
- Bennett Lane Winery Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 (California) This cab is deep garnet in colour. A nice nose with ripe cassis and vanilla. Smooth mouthfeel with dark fruit and dry tannins. Long lingering flavours.
- Clos du Val Wine Company Zinfandel 2009 (California). Light garnet in colour. Smoky raspberry nose. Medium body with raspberry and cassis flavours, with vanilla and spice on the finish. An elegant wine.
- La Stella Allegretto 2008 (Canada). This is 100% Merlot grown from their Stag vineyard in Osoyoos on it’s own rootstock! Deep purple in the glass. Lots of raspberry, cherry and vanilla on the nose. Full body with mocha, cherry and vanilla flavour, and a hint of raspberry. Medium tannins with a long finish.
I’ve tried to give you a range of wines from light to full bodied. I hope there is one for you and for your mother. Enjoy!