Mothers have a hard job. And having 1 day a year to celebrate her daily toil hardly covers how much she should be appreciated. So I’d like to suggest both roses and rose wine for this special day, and any other day you want to show your appreciation.
The Meanings of Roses
For most of us, guys especially, do not know what the colours of roses mean. Peruse the colours and pick what is most appropriate. I would think that some colours of roses, e.g. red, may be more appropriate for your spouse, while other colours more appropriate for your mother. As I am not an expert on rose colours, I present this list from http://www.rkdn.org/roses/colors.asp
|Red (Dark)||Unconscious beauty|
|Red (Single)||I Love You|
|Deep Burgundy||Unconscious Beauty|
|White||Purity, Innocence, Silence, Secrecy, Reverence, Humility, Youthfulness|
|Pink||Appreciation, “Thank you”, Grace, Perfect Happiness, Admiration, Gentleness, “Please Believe Me”|
|Dark Pink||Appreciation, Gratitude, “Thank You”|
|Light Pink||Admiration, Sympathy, Gentleness, Grace, Gladness, Joy, Sweetness|
|Yellow||Joy, Gladness, Friendship, Delight, Promise of a new beginning, Welcome Back, Remember Me, Jealousy|
|Yellow with Red Tip||Friendship, Falling in Love|
|Red and White||Given together, these signify unity|
|Red and Yellow||Jovial and Happy Feelings|
|Peach||Appreciation, Closing the deal, Let’s get together, Sincerity, Gratitude|
|Lavender||Love at first sight, Enchantment|
|Orange||Enthusiasm, Desire, Fascination|
How many roses should you give? That’s a bit subjective, but 1 rose shows your devotion and 6 roses signify a need to be loved or cherished. If you give 2 roses, that means you want to marry that person. Maybe you would like to buy 1 rose for each year you have been together?
Some Rose Wine Picks
I have covered many rose wines over the past years. Rose wines are wonderful I think for spring time and to celebrate Mother’s Day. Here are a few that I think are quite tasty:
Champagne Lallier Rose, NV, France. If your mother, wife or significant other enjoys bubbles, here is one to please. Very pale pinkish orange colour. Light strawberry nose. Bigger bubble, with strawberry and red cherry flavour. You can never go wrong with Champagne.
- Domaine Chandon Brut Rose, NV, France. A sparkling rose that will treat your tastebuds. Light orangey cherry in colour. Lees and strawberries on the nose. Lots of light small bubbles in the glass. Quite creamy mouthfeel with strawberry and cherry flavours.
- Haywire Gamay Noir Rose 2010, BC ($23). Light salmon colour. Strawberry and cherry aromas. High acidity with strawberries, raspberries and cherry flavours. Very refreshing. We don’t come across a Gamay Noir rose, so this was nice. Gamay, like Pinot Noir is naturally a low tannin wine, with red fruit / summer fruit flavours. This is a very nice wine for the summer. Try with some crab or lobster.
- Blasted Church Rose 2010, BC ($17.99). This rose is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Usually I expect a single varietal, like Pinot Noir or Merlot, so I was very interested to taste this rose. Very pale cherry colour. Nice strawberry aromas. Raspberry leaf, strawberry, and capsicum flavours. High acidity and spicy on your palate. Light body and long length. This wine packs a punch with 14.9% alcohol, so beware as you sip this one.
- Olivares Jumilla Rose 2010, Spain. Bright cherry colour. Light cherry nose. Light body with ripe red cherries and strawberry flavours. Medium acid and low tannins. Very refreshing. Highly recommended.
- Le Vieux Pin Vaïla Pinot Noir Rosé 2010, BC. Light pinkish salmon colour. Raspberries and strawberry fruit on the nose with a bit of raspberry leaf as well. Off dry with light body and medium acidity. Quite nice strawberry flavour with some almonds on the finish. The grapes for this wine come from one of the organic Kalala vineyards in West Kelowna.
I wish all mothers a very Happy Mother’s Day!