Today seems to be a hotbed for wine-related announcements.
April 7, 2011 (Vancouver, BC) – BC wine lovers, take note: Wines of Argentina, the organization responsible for promoting the image of Argentine wines around the world, has declared April 17 as World Malbec Day in honor of the country’s iconic varietal.
British Columbians can join in on the celebratory action by coming to one of the FREE Malbec tastings being held on April 17th at public and private liquor stores. The tastings will feature great Malbecs, tango music, and a festive spirit suited to enjoying the flagship wine from this warm South American country.
British Columbians can get to know Malbec at one of the FREE tastings taking place on Sunday, April 17th at the following locations:
· Signature BC Liquor Store – Highgate
· Signature BC Liquor Store – North Gate
· Marquis Wine Cellars – 1034 Davie – will have food pairing
· Signature BC Liquor Store – Alberni & Thurlow
· Signature BC Liquor Store – Orchard Park
· Signature BC Liquor Store – Langley
· Everything Wine – 998 Marine Drive – will have food pairing
· Liberty Park & Tilford – Park & Tilford Mall – will have food pairing
· Signature BC Liquor Store – Park Royal
· Signature BC Liquor Store – Ironwood
· Everything Wine – South Surrey (Morgan Crossing) – will have food pairing
· Signature BC Liquor Store – Fleetwood
· Signature BC Liquor Store – 39th & Cambie – will have food pairing
· Signature BC Liquor Store – Fort & Foul Bay
Several locations will feature catered food including empanadas provided by the House of Empanadas . You can follow what’s happening on @ArgentinaWineCA on Twitter, or on Facebook.
April 17th was selected as Malbec World Day because of its historical significance. On this day in 1853, the bill to create the Quinta Agronomica, a government program to improve all aspects of Agriculture, including the national wine industry, was submitted to the Provincial Legislature of Mendoza. The date represents both the transformation of Argentina’s wine industry and the starting point for the development of Malbec as its flagship variety.
For more information about Malbec World Day and scheduled events, please visit www.winesofargentina.org.